Below is a quick guide on how to secure Credit card online. This guide is applicable to everyone using his/her debit or credit cards to make any payment at all on the internet.
Online Credit Card Usage
Performing transaction with credit cards has become a general monetary exchange trend these days.It confers convenience one can seek to enjoy out of modern life.
With a credit card, one can make payments on items bought either offline or online and it also allows people to move anywhere without much or no cash.
Though these technologies are nice and will make a lot of transaction easier to perform, they could still be used against us if the transactions made with the credit cards are not done carefully.
There are so many cyber criminals and card fraudster who are ready to use this technology against people. Many reputable businesses, people and companies are victims of their activities already.
So it’s not enough to just obtain or signup for a credit card, you should also take some measures to protect your credit card details.
In this article, we will put you through how you can secure your credit card while making payments online.
TIPS ON HOW TO SECURE CREDIT CARD ONLINE
- SHOP ON SECURE MERCHANT SITE: when trying to make a payment on any merchant site, example Amazon.com. Check if the site is secure. Some of the sign of a secure website include:
- The website address will start with “https” instead of “http”
- The website will have a locked padlock icon before the address in the address bar.
- SHOP ON A MERCHANT SITE OR RETAIL YOU KNOW: before buying from any merchant site, it is good you know everything concerning the store you want to make the purchase. You can search and identify their physical address and contact details. You can also find and read reviews about the store online too.
- DEDICATE A CARD FOR ONLINE TRANSACTION: experts have recommended that users should dedicate a separate card for their online transaction. The card to be used must be one with low credit limits so that all unauthorized charges can be controlled.
- APPLY FOR CREDIT CARD FROM COMPANIES WITH PROTECTION PROGRAMS: when you want to get a card you will use online, considers cards with issuer protection programs.
- AVOID USING YOUR CARDS ON PUBLIC WIFI NETWORKS OR COMPUTER: when you are using a public computer for anything, avoid entering details considered private like your credit card information. Some hackers may have installed malware programs that will save your details on the computer, so it’s better you shop with a private computer or device.
- MAKE YOUR PASSWORD UNPREDICTABLE AND KEEP THEM SECRET: when selecting password combinations, select combinations that will not be easy to guess and always keep them secret
- NEVER SAVE YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAILS ON WEBSITES: when you are using your credit card to perform any transaction, avoid saving the details on the website even if the website gives you the assurance that your password is safe. Saving your password on a website may give someone the opportunity to steal your identity.
Finally, REPORT A STOLEN OR LOST CARD: when your card gets lost or stolen, ensure you report the incident to the card-issuer before your funds are touched.
If you abide by the above tips on how to secure credit card online, you don’t have to worry over internet insecurity while using your cards online.